Beef & Broccoli with Fried Rice
Ingredients for beef & broccoli:
For the marinade:
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t cane sugar
- 1 T cornstarch or brown rice flour
- 1 T low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 T water
- 2 T safflower or canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs beef sliced into thin strips
For the sauce:
- 3/4 c low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 T brown sugar
- 2 t minced garlic
- 3 T brown rice flour
- 4 1/2 T safflower or canola oil
- 3-4 cups broccoli florets
- Whisk together all the marinade ingredients and add the beef. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
- For the sauce stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and flour.
- In a large pan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and add the broccoli. Sauté about 3 minutes then remove the broccoli.
- Add the remaining oil and the marinated meat. Pour in half the sauce mixture. Cook the meat fully, then stir in the broccoli and remaining sauce.
Ingredients for the fried rice:
- 3 c cooked brown rice
- 1 T safflower oil
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1 c carrot coins
- 1/4 c chopped red, white or yellow onions
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 t minced garlic
- 2 eggs or 1/2 c eggbeaters
- 3 T low-sodium soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- Add the safflower oil to a pan and sauté the carrots, peas, onions and green onions for about 1 minute. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Put the veggies to the edges of the pan and cook/scramble the eggs in the middle.
- Add the rice and soy sauce to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.