Apple Pie with Whole Wheat Crust
- 4-5 apples, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp cane sugar, coconut sugar or honey
- Pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over sliced apples and toss.
- In a small bowl mix cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and sugar (if you used cane or coconut sugar).
- Toss over apples and carefully mix (add the honey now if you used it as the sweetener).
- In a large pot place the sliced apples and cook over medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the apples to your pie crust. I didn’t do a traditional pie because I wanted to make sure it was more portable. My husband doesn’t like apples so this is all mine!
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and bake for about 40 minutes.
Whole Wheat Pie Crust
- 2 3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 c safflower oil
- 1/4 c melted coconut oil
- 1 c milk (I use So Delicious coconut milk)
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix until all the flour is incorporated.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for about 1/2 hour before rolling it out.
The original recipe can be found on Sugar-Free Mom.