Whole Grain Banana Bread
- 1 heaping cup mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla coconut milk)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (I used old fashioned)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray one 9-inch loaf pan or three mini loaf pans with nonstick organic cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine mashed banana, applesauce, honey, egg, almond milk and vanilla until well combined and creamy.
- In separate medium bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined (don’t overmix!).
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean with a few crumbs attached. I used my convection toaster oven and it was done in about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely. Keep bread tightly wrapped to maintain moisture.
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen.